In May this year, Australia held its federal election. That night, there was a massive miraculous moment when all of Australia realised that something had completely changed. Everyone expected Labor to win. But half way through the evening, it became apparent that the opposite was true. The Liberal Party had completely turned the tables and had come out on top. Scott Morrison, in his acceptance speech as the New Prime Minister declared at the outset “I have always believed in miracles. I’m standing with the three biggest miracles in my life here tonight (His wife and two daughters). And tonight, we have been delivered another one.”
Much prayer, fasting and prophecy had gone into this as Australia was facing a very sombre outlook, especially in regard to gender identity. The outcome of this election demonstrated that prayer and prophecy can change a nation. Prayer and prophecy can change social outcomes.
We are bombarded constantly with social issues and injustices. Every night the news is filled with issues that are not displaying the Kingdom of God here on earth.
What should our response be?
I encourage you to seek God for His heart and for what your response could be for social issues. I encourage you to use your prophetic gifting to make a huge dent and cause a 180 degree turn around in the social issues affecting your country.
How is it best to prophesy over issues such as
- Homosexuality / transgender / identity issues
- The way the government spends money
- Drug abuse
- Injecting Rooms
- Genetic selection
- Sex Trafficking
- Abuse – child, domestic, elderly, etc
- Treatment of refugees
- And the list goes on
The only true way to prophesy over issues like this is to have spent time with Father God, knowing His heart on the particular issue and speaking only what He wants you to communicate. Sometimes there is a place for silence and no comment. Other times, we need to speak up and speak out and prophesy and change the outcome.
In the Kingdom of God, every person has dignity. Every person is valued. Every person has worth. Every person is created in the image of God. When injustice occurs, we need to look at how we can help restore the particular person back to their original design.
In Matthew 6: 33, we are urged to “seek first His kingdom and His righteousness”.
Some helpful hints to keep in mind:
- Always honour and protect the dignity of the person. Bring life and light and help point the person to Jesus and draw them closer to God’s heart.
- Focus on the answer, not the problem. Remember, you are prophesying to bring God’s Kingdom from Heaven to earth. An extremely helpful guideline in prophesying is to never prophesy the negative. If you receive a word of knowledge and get a negative about the person, turn it 180 degrees so that it becomes a positive that you are prophesying them towards.
- Timing is important. Just as what you communicate is important, so is the timing. Ask God “is this the right timing?”.
- Be wise and discerning about what you communicate, how you communicate and where you communicate it.
- Don’t prophesy out of an emotive agenda. Sure, emotions can flow when you prophesy and you are experiencing God’s heart for that person, but please do not put your own personal agenda into it. Ask yourself “Is this what God wants me to say or is this my own personal agenda coming through?”
- There is a difference between prophesying and prophetic intercession. Has God shown you something for someone or for a societal group but it is not for you to communicate it to them. Rather, God wants you to intercede for them.
- Likewise, who you prophesy to is important. Has God communicated this to you to prophesy to a particular person, a group, a government body, shout it off a mountain top where you are alone, etc.
I would love to hear your thoughts and comments on what you have discovered when you have prophesied about a social issue.
Prophetic Activations / Exercises to incorporate into your week:
Every week I list 5 prophetic activations/exercises under children/family, group, beginner, intermediate and advanced. The purpose of these exercises is to practice to help us hear God’s voice in a clearer manner. They sharpen our senses to hear and see and sense God and His way of communicating with us. This enables us to grow in our relationship with God and also to impart to others what God tells us for them. Feel free to use as many of these activations each week as you can. The more you practice, the sharper you become at hearing God’s voice. Enjoy! Remember that whenever you give another person a prophetic word or picture etc, please make sure that it is encouraging, edifying (strengthening) and comforting (1 Corinthians 14:3) and that it comes from a place of love.
1. Children / Families Activation: Have paper and crayons/pencils plus hand held bubble blowers on hand. Ask everyone to draw how God wants to bring His Kingdom into your town, state, nation or world. Then release joy over these pictures by placing them on the floor and blowing bubbles over them and releasing God’s goodness and joy over the issues and outcomes.
2. Group Activation: Identify the top 3-5 social justice issues in your community. Break into groups and select one issue per group. Work together as a group to hear/sense/see from God and prophesy the outcome about the issue.
3. Beginner Activation: Ask God to bring an individual across your path this week that is struggling in the area of their gender identity. Prophesy God’s heart over them.
4. Intermediate Activation: Prophesy over a group that is addressing social injustice issues, encouraging them by highlighting a way forward for them.
5. Advanced Activation: Ask God to highlight a social injustice issue relevant at the moment in your nation. Spend time with God formulating a prophetic word to release and ask God how, when and where.