It was 8pm, September 2011. 9 Years ago. I was standing beside my daughter’s hospital bed. The Doctor’s addressed me saying, “Mrs Berry. You have a very sick little girl. We don’t know yet what is wrong with her but by the morning, we should have some answers back. So far, we have tested for HIV Aids, Hepatitis B, Tuberculosis, Malaria, Cancer, Leukaemia…..” My mind went blank and I didn’t hear anything else.
The Doctors left the room and I managed to settle my 8-year-old daughter for sleep. I sank down into the chair beside her bed. Thankfully, we were in an isolated room (as they thought my daughter may be infectious) so we didn’t have to contend with anyone else.
As I snuggled into that hard plastic chair, my mind was racing. It had taken us over ten years to be able to fall pregnant. Now, I was looking at losing her. Would she die in two years, one year, four months? This was all flashing through my mind. Suddenly, my mind was arrested.
We had just returned from Mozambique, Africa where we had attended the Iris Harvest School for three months under Heidi Baker. Whilst we were there, we had received a prophetic word from a man called David Wagner. We were new to prophecy and had no idea about it apart from the fact that this guy was meant to be very accurate. We didn’t even know what to do with our prophetic word so we had recorded it, transcribed it and prayed it through. In fact, we had prayed it through so much that we knew it off by heart.
It was now that a sentence or two from that memorised prophetic word came back to me about my daughter. “I saw the Lord putting a doctor’s coat on you in the days ahead and I just saw you as one who walks who is not only going to be a physician, but one who carries the great physician and I saw you as one who ministers to people with miracles and medicine and medical missions and all of those things.”
I suddenly realised, for my 8-year-old daughter to become a doctor and fulfil this prophetic word (& for me, it is not about whether she becomes a doctor as she can have the freedom to choose whatever) but it meant that she would have to be at least 24 years old to be finished university to become a doctor. That meant that she was not going to die from whatever disease she currently was facing.
At that moment, I laughed in the face of adversity like the Proverbs 31 woman (Proverbs 31:25). I grabbed that prophetic word and I began to contend and war with the situation we were currently facing and I used it to give us hope. Jeremiah 29:11 says, “ For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
I knew the outcome. I knew that this huge ‘mountain’ in front of us was not the end. With that prophetic word, I could ‘see’ over the top of that ‘mountain’ and ‘see’ that there was a future. This mountain we were facing might be huge, but it wasn’t going to be the end. Sure, we had to get through it to get to the other side, but it wasn’t the end. The prophetic word gave us hope and a future.
Friends, please, please, please. If you don’t have a prophetic word for you, your children etc, get one. Secondly, use your prophetic word wisely and contend with the current situation you are facing. Make your prophetic word into a declaration and speak it out against your current situation. Pray your prophetic word into being.
Make sure you subscribe so that you get next week’s blog post as I am going to start to look at the practical aspects of “What to do with your prophetic word”. This is part of a 4-week series.
To prepare, grab your prophetic words out and read over them. If you don’t have one for yourself or each of your children, ask someone you know who is prophetic and whom you trust to give you a prophetic word for yourself and for each of your children.
Prophetic Activations / Exercises to incorporate into your week:
Every week I list 5 prophetic activations/exercises under children/family, group, beginner, intermediate and advanced. The purpose of these exercises is to practice to help us hear God’s voice in a clearer manner. They sharpen our senses to hear and see and sense God and His way of communicating with us. This enables us to grow in our relationship with God and also to impart to others what God tells us for them. Feel free to use as many of these activations each week as you can. The more you practice, the sharper you become at hearing God’s voice. Enjoy! Remember that whenever you give another person a prophetic word or picture etc, please make sure that it is encouraging, edifying (strengthening) and comforting (1 Corinthians 14:3) and that it comes from a place of love.
1. Children / Families Activation: Ask the kids to go outside and gather various objects from nature that have different textures and surfaces eg bark, leaves, snail, etc. Spend time touching the various textures and asking God what He wants to reveal to everyone about Himself through the different textures. Then ask God what He would like to communicate to the other family/group members through the objects of nature.
2. Group Activation: Select a local business that most group members would be aware of. Spend time asking God for His heart for that business. Decree and declare out aloud God’s heart over that business.
3. Beginner Activation: Turn on a tap or jump under the shower and ask God to reveal something of Himself to you through the sound and feel of the running water. Spend some time focussing on God and His goodness and intentions towards you. Revel in God’s goodness through the running water.
4. Intermediate Activation: Ask God to show you someone who desperately needs God’s encouragement today. Contact this person and share what you sense/see/hear that which is on God’s heart for that person.
5. Advanced Activation: Ask God to highlight a news headline to you today. Pray into that headline and prophesy God’s outcome over the situation.