Just because you have a prophetic word, it doesn’t mean that it will come true. A prophetic word is conditional. It is a ‘working document’. You need to become the person you need to be so that the prophetic word ‘fits’. This blogpost is the second in a series of blogs about “What do I do with my prophetic word?”. In this one, we will address what to do to begin with, the first steps to take after receiving a prophetic word.
Habakkuk 2:1-3 says, “I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what he will say to me, and what answer I am to give to this complaint. Then the Lord replied: “Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time”.
1. “Look to God to see what He will say to you”.
Do the hard work by chasing God and spending time with God in the quiet place. Draw close to God. I find that prophetic words confirm an answer to me of what God is already showing me. Prophetic words are not just ‘out of the blue’, completely random words given to you. It is God showing you through yet another way or yet another person the answer to a question you have been asking or a solution you have been looking for. Your relationship with God must come first and seek Him, not a prophetic word. God will come through and show you the answer or give you a prophetic word through someone but seek God, not a prophetic word.
2. Whenever you can, try and record your prophetic word.
If you have a digital device, use that. Otherwise, try and write down as much as you can as soon as possible after you have received it. Please write it down yourself and do the hard work. Don’t automatically assume that the person who gave you the prophetic word will remember it all. I know from the times that I have given prophetic words, I can remember some of the really huge stuff, but I quickly forget what I have just said, especially if I am given a number of prophetic words to different people one after the other. I also know from chatting with other prophetic people that they are the same. If you completely do not remember any of it and the person who prophesied over you doesn’t either and you didn’t record it, God is a good God. He will bring it to you another way and take comfort that your spirit will not forget it. Ask God to bring it back to you. Spend time soaking/ meditating on God and also ask Him to reveal it to you in your dreams.
Listen to it over and over. The more we hear our prophesy and read it, the more it becomes part of us. Listen to the language and the manner it was imparted to you as that also forms part of the prophetic word. A prophetic word is what the Fathers heart has for you. It is from the heart of God to you for you.
In my last blog post that I wrote about how I used a prophetic word over my daughter when she was critically ill in hospital as an 8 year old. That prophetic word came to my mind because I had read and re-read that prophetic word. It had become part of me as I had intentionally read it and prayed over it every day for several months. I took that prophetic word with me in my handbag and whenever I had a few minutes spare, I would grab it out and read over it and pray it through. With your prophetic word, go through each sentence and pray it through. Thank God. An example is if it said that “Jane, the Lord has given you a heart for healing. A heart for restoration and reconciliation.” I would then pray and declare, “Thank you Father that you have given me a heart for healing, restoration and reconciliation. I decree and declare that I am a healer, that I bring healing from the Lord and will also bring restoration and reconciliation to people.”
3. “Write down the prophetic word”.
Transcribe your prophesy. You are then able to visually see it. I find it helpful to type it on my computer so that I have a copy I can print off at any time. I then double space it so that I can begin to work with it more easily and make notations above and below words. Your prophetic word is a working document. When someone prophesies over you, that is just the beginning. You still have to do the work and get the most out of it to benefit from it. Read it and re-read it. Keep it with you and whenever you have a few moments, get it out and read over it again. Let it soak into you and become part of you. Read it every day. If you have more than one prophetic word, try and put them together in a document so that you can read them all through regularly.
4. “Make it plain on tablets.”
This is where you begin to work on it.
- You need to test it. Does it ‘feel’ right and does it witness to your spirit.
- All prophesy needs to be weighed against the nature of God. Does the prophesy bear witness to the nature of God & what God says in the Bible?
- Do you go “yes” that’s right or put it up on the shelf for awhile or discard it? I have found from the many people I have chatted with that while they may have thought that a particular prophetic word was totally wrong and not for them, they shelved it and looked at it again several years later and were shocked at how accurate it was. Just be careful to not discard it too quickly!! I am yet to come across someone with whom the prophetic word given to them was completely wrong. I’m not saying it can’t happen, but usually it may not apply to them at that moment but wait a few years and it may well be very applicable. I have had a number of people come to me recently and say that they thought a prophetic word I had given them 5-6 years ago was off but they recently have pulled it out and see that it is very relevant and most have come true.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21 “Do not treat prophecies with contempt but test them all, hold on to what is good.”
- Remember the purpose of prophesy is to encourage, build-up and comfort us from God’s heart. 1 Corinthians 14:3 “But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort”.
- A great question to ask is, “Will responding to this prophesy bear good fruit in my life?”
5. “So that a herald may run with it.”
Is there any sense of timing in your prophetic word? Is it a ‘now’ word for today or perhaps a word for several years time. Read through your prophetic word again and look for any clues as to timing or what will be fulfilled, or who you will become identity wise, before the prophetic word is fulfilled.
My next blogpost will highlight various questions it is great to ask about your prophetic word as you begin to dissect your prophesy.
Prophetic Activations / Exercises to incorporate into your week:
The purpose of these exercises is to help us hear God’s voice in a clearer manner. They sharpen our senses to hear and recognise God’s voice and His way of communicating with us. This enables us to grow in our relationship with God and also to impart to others what God tells us for them. Feel free to use as many of these activations each week as you can. The more you practice, the sharper you become at hearing God’s voice. Enjoy!
Remember that whenever you give another person a prophetic word or picture etc, please make sure that it is encouraging, edifying (strengthening) and comforting (1 Corinthians 14:3) and that it comes from a place of love.
1. Children / Families Activation: Ask everyone present to close their eyes for a minute and imagine Jesus walking through the door into the room. What does He say to them? Share.
2. Group Activation: Get into small groups of four or six. Have a leader in the room who gives the instruction. Number the people 1-4 or 6. Start with number 1. When the leader issues an instruction, eg person opposite, the number one person asks Jesus “What do you want to say to this person opposite me?” and then they share it. Be careful not to say, “Jesus says” but more “I sense Jesus saying….”. Then for number 2 person, the leader may say “the person second on your right”. They ask Jesus what He wants to say to that person etc
3. Beginner Activation: Ask God to highlight different tastes to you this week. As it comes to mind, and you savor a taste, ask God to show you something about Himself that relates to that taste. Delight in the various taste sensations and the new things you learn about God.
4. Intermediate Activation: Ask God to highlight a business person to you and to give you a prophetic word for them about their business. Arrange a time to deliver it to them.
5. Advanced Activation: Ask God to show you something significant for your local member of Parliament. Either arrange a time to go and share this with them or write it in an email or letter and send to them. Please keep the language appropriate and no church jargon.