In living a lifestyle where we are full of the Holy Spirit and dependent on God, we are living a life where every day presents wonderful opportunities to partner with the Holy Spirit. In our daily life, if we are not dependent upon the Holy Spirit to ‘show up’ and intervene, then perhaps our life has too much ‘me’ and not enough ‘God’.
I look back to when hubby and I were church planting. Those days were full of excitement and we desperately needed the Holy Spirit every day for what we were facing and experiencing and loving. We had some amazing opportunities to share God’s love and saw people accept Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour. We enjoyed running various programs, stopping for the one and helping strangers and hubby having an ‘open’ door in the local primary school but we desperately needed God to show up as we were often out of our depth. God did show up and we were always in awe of how He worked. We then became burnt out and weren’t seeing God or experiencing God in our life.
Years later, we are living a supernatural lifestyle again, but probably with more ‘balance’ than those early years and with more of a flow ie we partner with God every moment of the day instead of finding ourselves in a situation where we are desperate for Him to turn up and ‘save the day’. Little things and big things occur daily where we see God’s hand on our life and we are impacting others. A classic example is the other day. The kids and I were at the dentist. About a month ago, I really sensed to ring and make an appointment with our dentist (who is amazing and gives us free dental care because of how hubby helped his wife 20 years ago). This dentist is 75 years old now and works 2 half days a week, so getting an appointment is usually a month in advance. Both of our kids need braces and I felt to go and see him to see if they needed any fillings or teeth removed that he could do to save us money. For a few months, I have been praying that God would either provide us the means of getting their teeth straightened and aligned or miraculously align them Himself. As we don’t have private health insurance, it was going to be a costly exercise otherwise.
Our family is not immune to dental miracles. When our daughter was 10 years old, she went to the dentist and he said she needed to have 2 fillings. He didn’t have time then to do them so he booked her back in for a month’s time. My daughter wanted to leave the appointment until after she had been to our church’s Healing Rooms and received prayer because she desperately didn’t want any fillings. She received prayer and returned to the dentist. The dentist was amazed that she no longer needed any fillings as her teeth were fine. Since he had the time set aside, he then removed 4 teeth from her overcrowded mouth.
Then about a year later, I went to the dentist with tooth ache. It was ascertained after x-rays that I needed a root canal. Four subsequent appointments were made. I turned up to the following appointment and the dentist was totally shocked. He asked if I had been praying to my God as a miracle had taken place in my mouth and no root canal was needed. Thus, we have no trouble in believing for dental miracles.
We went to the dentist the other day and the dentist came up with a plan for how we could get braces for both children with very minor cost to us. We had discussed this with the dentist last year but no solution had been forthcoming then. Whilst he was examining both children, the next patient turned up and popped her head in the room to speak to the dental nurse. They exchanged greetings and a few words about the patient’s recent mission trip. The patient then stated that her knee was extremely swollen and causing her a lot of problems. The dental nurse asked me to look at her knee and give her advice as I was a nurse. I ascertained that the swelling had been there prior to the trip and it wasn’t due to a blood clot from being on the plane etc. I then explained how I believed that Jesus can heal people and asked her if I could pray for her knee. I sat next to her in the waiting room and prayed for her knee and for her to encounter Father God’s presence. She was ecstatic with tears falling down her cheeks. Since her return to Australia from the mission trip, she had felt that God had abandoned her. The night before, she had felt really distant from God’s love and had been prompted to ring and get a dental appointment by the Holy Spirit. She just ‘happened’ to get an appointment for the following day at the exact time we were there to pray for her. She felt so loved by God.
Often it can be the little, everyday things like stopping and praying for someone that can make a huge difference in a person’s life. Who have you shown God’s love to today?
Prophetic Activations / Exercises to incorporate into your week:
The purpose of these exercises is to help us hear God’s voice in a clearer manner. They sharpen our senses to hear and recognise God’s voice and His way of communicating with us. This enables us to grow in our relationship with God and also to impart to others what God tells us for them. Feel free to use as many of these activations each week as you can. The more you practice, the sharper you become at hearing God’s voice. Enjoy!
Remember that whenever you give another person a prophetic word or picture etc, please make sure that it is encouraging, edifying (strengthening) and comforting (1 Corinthians 14:3)
1. Children / Families Activation: Select an emergency service in your area eg police, ambulance or fire brigade. Get your children to ask God for a picture for them and get them to draw it. Write an encouraging explanation along with the picture. Ask God how you are to deliver it to them.
2. Group Activation: Select 3 people to come up the front. Blindfold them. Select another 3 people to come up. The 3 people can choose which blindfolded person they are going to stand in front of ie one person each in front of a blindfolded person. The blindfolded person is to ask God for a prophetic word for the person in front of them and then to release it to them.
3. Beginner Activation: Write or draw a prophetic word for your postman and leave it attached to your letterbox with a note so that the postman will collect it. Alternatively, time it so that you are at the letterbox when the postman comes and hand it to them.
4. Intermediate Activation: Spend some time asking God to show, tell or give you a prophetic word for your local firemen or fire chief. Ask God how you are to deliver it to them or whether you are just to pray and declare it.
5. Advanced Activation: Look for a headline in the local newspaper that grabs your attention. Ask God to reveal more about the situation and listen to what God wants to share with you. Write a prophetic word about the situation or the people involved. If you can find their details, you may like to post it to them.