An acquaintance was sharing how he had been in a hotel room with a friend who was a very successful business man. My acquaintance shared how he had felt God had given him a prophetic word for this man. So he shared it with him. Whilst there, the phone rang. The businessman answered and it was about a negotiation for something to do with the business. The prophetic word had been about this very negotiation. Immediately the business man decided to accept the prophetic word and followed the advice. Within the next few hours, the businessman had increased his fortune significantly.
The Bible has a lot to say about finances, business management and divine intervention. There are numerous stories throughout the Old and New Testament about this. As you read through them you will notice that most of them begin with God helping the person to realise their true identity first. That’s a great principle in itself – you need to know and understand your true identity before God gives you the strategy.
Biblical examples include:
- Dreams & their interpretation predicting success (Genesis 41. Joseph and Pharaoh)
- Supernatural promotion (Genesis 41 & 47:1-11. Joseph, Jacob & his brothers)
- Divine intervention (Judges 6 & 7. Gideon threshing wheat)
- Prophetic guidance and promises from God (Genesis 31:1-18. Jacob to leave his father-in-law and set up on his own)
- Miraculous provision (2 Kings 4:1-7. Elisha and the widow and the small business of oil in the jars or the disciples in Luke 5:4-11 with the disciples and the catch of fish)
- Principles of what you sow, you will reap plus God blessing hard work & integrity.
When prophesying over a business, there are several things to keep in mind. My acquaintance had a choice – to share or not. If he had chosen not to share, then it would not have helped the businessman. Sure, God is far bigger than this situation and could easily have delivered the ‘answer’ in a different format or method.
My acquaintance also had to be careful though. Imagine if he had misread what God had shared with him. It could well have lost this businessman a lot of money. I don’t share this to frighten you, just to help you be aware that you carry ‘power’ to bring good or bad. You need to be wise and follow the Lord’s leading carefully and with humility.
Just because you think you have heard from God about someone’s business, please do not presume that it is right, it is welcomed, it is perfect timing. Timing is crucial, so wait and hear from God when, and if, you are to release it to the appropriate person.
You are not ‘God’s gift’ to the business.
You are merely the mouthpiece that can bring pleasant or foul response.
Some principles to keep in mind:
- You and your prophetic word are not the ‘Saviour’ for this person and their business.
- Confidentiality – do not tell others what you are doing or what you’ve done in relation to the business. Others do not need to know. It is the other person’s business, thus, their ‘property’ so to speak. Honour them by being confidential. Also, please do not take anyone else with you that the business owner hasn’t asked for.
- Honour the person and their time
- Be punctual
- Dress appropriately
- Don’t waste their time. Start promptly.
- Be prepared beforehand. Spend time with God, knowing what it is He has asked you to share.
- Prophesy only. Don’t exaggerate. Do not add anything else God hasn’t shown or told you.
- Respect the fact that if they implement what you say, it could ‘make or break’ them.
- Be wise about the timing of the release of the word.
- Watch your language. Do not use ‘christian’ language. Any business language you use, please be aware of the meaning and implications.
- Ask them how what you have said ‘sits’ with them. Is there something you have said that they don’t understand? Give them an opportunity to give feedback and ask further questions.
- If you are not invited to prophesy over their business but you believe that God has given you a word for them, you need to pray about the way forward. Is it to share with them or is it for you to intercede for them and their business?
Prophetic Activations / Exercises to incorporate into your week:
Every week I list 5 prophetic activations/exercises under children/family, group, beginner, intermediate and advanced. The purpose of these exercises is to practice to help us hear God’s voice in a clearer manner. They sharpen our senses to hear and see and sense God and His way of communicating with us. This enables us to grow in our relationship with God and also to impart to others what God tells us for them. Feel free to use as many of these activations each week as you can. The more you practice, the sharper you become at hearing God’s voice. Enjoy! Remember that whenever you give another person a prophetic word or picture etc, please make sure that it is encouraging, edifying (strengthening) and comforting (1 Corinthians 14:3) and that it comes from a place of love.
1. Children / Families Activation: Gather blank cards, crayons, textas, etc. Ask God to show everyone what to write and draw on the cards and for leading on who to hand them out to. Then spend time preparing encouragement cards to hand out to business owners or people who work in businesses. Then go as a group to a local shopping centre. Follow God’s leading on who to give the encouragement cards to.
2. Group Activation: Ask for those who own businesses to stand up. Then arrange groups around those people so one business person is in each group. As a group, practice hearing from God together about this person’s business and then prophesy along the same theme as the other members of the group are doing. This is great practice in waiting until what you feel to say is appropriate timing to share and follows the theme of the prophecy.
3. Beginner Activation: Spend time with God asking Him His heart for a business you work for or someone close to you works for. Ask God for what He would like you to pray and prophesy for for this business and what to do with the prophetic word that He gives you.
4. Intermediate Activation: Ask God to highlight to you a business in your area that is not going well. Spend time with God asking Him His heart on this business and what He wants you to do with what He shares with you.
5. Advanced Activation: Ask God to highlight to you this week a national or multinational company who has injust working practices. Lean into God and hear, sense, see His heart on this issue. Then ask God what He wants your response to be.